Friday 13 May 2011

A Short Walk in Inglewood

A warm sunny evening led to a short post-work stroll around Inglewood Bird Sanctuary on Thursday and I found a couple of rarities along with good views of some of the "usual suspects".  I'll let the photos tell the story...
Over the clatter of three Belted Kingfishers, I hear a House Finch, (Carpodacus mexicanus),  I wonder if I can get a better  photo from the other side....

....looks like no!
 Ducks in love...
American Wigeon pair, Anas americana
Common Merganser pair, Mergus merganser
Mallard pair, Anas platyrhynchos

Redhead pair, Aythya americana
Wood Duck, Aix sponsa, two males - waiting for love?
Walking along the trail a robin-sized bird with a flash of tan on its wing flies across the trail.  I wonder if I'm going to get my first decent look at....
...yep!  The enigmatically named Townsend's Solitaire, Myadestes townsendi
and again from behind.
Arriving at the river a quick scan reveals not very much of interest, except one of those Goldeneyes on the far side looks a little out of place.  Crescent shaped white in front of the eye, steeper sloped forehead, bill a little shorter, must be a...
....Barrow's Goldeneye, Bucephala islandica
Better views on take-off and in flight seem to support this conclusion.  Sorry about the lousy photos - digiscoping equipment is in the budget for the next couple of months - all photos can be clicked to enlarge for marginally better views!


I made out 1 male and 3 female Barrow's Goldeneyes, with the larger white area on the wings of the male Common Goldeneye in the upper right of this image clearly highlighting the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment